You can apply for a Blue Badge if you are disabled or have a medical condition that limits your mobility.
You can also apply for a badge if you care for a child who has a mobility issue due to a medical condition. The maximum amount you can be charged is £10.
If you receive certain benefits, you will automatically be eligible for a Blue Badge. The application process will be simple. Unless you are applying due to arm problems, you do not need to be able to drive to apply for a Blue Badge.
If you’re here because you want to know everything about applying for a blue badge, like who is eligible to get a blue badge, How to apply for a blue badge and renewing your blue badge, then you are in the right place, Because we at The Watchtower, an award-winning SEO Company, Mobile App Design Company, and Web Design the UK will bring you all the necessary information you need to know about applying for a blue badge in the UK.
Who can get a Blue Badge
You’re automatically eligible for a Blue Badge if you:
1. Are registered as blind
You can get the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) - check your decision letter if you're not sure
2. Get War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement
received a lump sum payment as part of the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme, and have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability
3. If you get Personal Independence Payments (PIP)
You’re automatically eligible for a Blue Badge if you either:
1. Scored 8 points or more in the ‘moving around’ area of your PIP assessment
2. Scored 10 points in the ‘planning and following journeys’ area of your PIP assessment and were put in category ‘E’ - this means your stress, anxiety, or other mental health issue stops you from leaving the house
If you're not automatically eligible
You can still get a badge if:
1. You have long term problems walking or going to places - including problems caused by stress, anxiety or other mental health issues
2. You have severe problems using both your arms
3. You're applying on behalf of a child aged over 2 who has problems walking or going to places, or a child under 3 who needs to be close to a vehicle because of a health condition
How to Apply for a Blue Badge
1. You can apply for or renew your Blue Badge online on GOV.UK. Some councils also let you apply on a paper form - contact your local council to check.
2. You have to apply through your local council - your doctor can't help you get a Blue Badge.
3. Your local council might also arrange an appointment to visit you - they'll let you know if you need this.
If you're not automatically eligible you'll need to fill in an extra part of the application form to explain why you need a badge. The application is more complicated if you're not automatically eligible
Documents you need
Before you apply, make sure you have:
1. Your National Insurance number or child reference number if you’re applying for a child
2. The number, expiry date, and local council on your current blue badge, if you have one
3. Your original decision letter from the Department of Work and Pensions - if you're automatically eligible for a badge
4. Details of your medical condition - if you’re not automatically eligible for a badge
5. Proof of identification, for example, a birth or marriage certificate, passport, or driving licence
6. A Council Tax bill from the last 3 months to prove your address - or you can give your local council permission to check their records
7. A photograph of the person the badge is for - it has to be taken with a digital camera
Renewing your Blue Badge
After three years, you must renew your badge. You'll also have to reapply for a badge if you no longer receive the benefit to which your badge is linked.
GOV.UK allows you to renew your Blue Badge online. Some councils also allow you to renew your Blue Badge on paper; check with your local council for details.
If you no longer require your Blue Badge, for example, if your concussion has healed, you must return it to your council.
We hope you learned something from this article and you now understand all the steps to take to apply for a blue badge because that is our aim. We at the Watchtower a leading SEO Company, Mobile App Design Company and Web Design in the UK would continue to provide useful and essential content to our users.
May 18, 2021